Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Tough job; best wishes for total success.
@terminologist I think that the term geographic north is derived from the term geographic north pole. That's the spot where the earth's axis interse...
@mightymoe Isn't that one advantage of state plane coordinates?
@terminologist I'm going to think out loud here, so this may get a bit wordy. The latitude and longitude of a point can be found without reference ...
@terminologist Two comments: Geographic coordinates. Using geographic as the adjective is very informal and not precise. A better adjective is geod...
@thebionicman Nothing about the coordinate plane has changed in a long, long time. (10000, 10000) are the coordinates of the point. They are an ord...
@thebionicman I certainly won't argue the history; that's for academicians. Undoubtedly there were earlier forms and the coordinate plane was not co...
@mightymoe The pre-Descartes history is sketchy but there were apparently forerunners, or at least giants on whose shoulders Decartes could have sto...
I'm just repeating what the man who invented the system said. But to get really fundamental, a plane cartesian system is created by the intersection ...