AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
jaccen
jaccen
@jaccen
Free
Joined: February 21, 2019 10:41 pm
Last seen: June 19, 2026 12:06 pm
Topics: 17 / Replies: 444
Reply
RE: Man... ChatGPT Is Nice

One can cut down on the sycophancy if you pay for an account and tailor it to your style.   1.) Main, default profile. Presume that I am a ci...

4 months ago
Reply
RE: GPS Collection with a Disto

I have used pole mounts similar to this for just straight distance readings. The Bosch ones are nice in that they can take the slope into account when...

4 months ago
Reply
RE: GPS Collection with a Disto

I tried using a TruPulse 360 with Survce and the compass readings to use a rover as a portable "total station." The metal rod always messed with the T...

4 months ago
Reply
RE: Civil 3D automation (.NET API): Looking for ideas for my next hobby project

@andrei Hi there. OFFSET is the main one for me. I use two LISPs for drawing bearings & distances that largely take care of my problem of drawi...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Civil 3D automation (.NET API): Looking for ideas for my next hobby project

@lurker   I know that BC surveyors use azimuth, but that seems to be the minority in North America.

10 months ago
Reply
RE: AI "helper"

"AI" is too broad a term. I, personally, use some of the LLM's for helping "story boarding" a process, for help with initial coding of small projects,...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: 3D Scanning Manholes

Our engineers use the scans for visual confirmation of the structure condition and pipe sizes. It also is useful for non-sewer manholes (ie. electrica...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Handheld Consumer grade GNSS?

I used to use BaseCamp for Garmins about 10 years ago. No idea if it still works:

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Civil 3D automation (.NET API): Looking for ideas for my next hobby project

Unit conversion. It would be nice to be able enter in whatever unit you wanted no matter the template. Ie. if I use the metric template, it would stil...

10 months ago
Reply
RE: Search The Compleat Surveyor Database - ChatGPT

Have you ever considered using phind? I find it to be a useful search engine alternative as it links its answers to its sources. If the answer is tota...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: iPhone iPad LiDAR 3D scanning for Surveyors

The app works pretty good. A few comments on it: 1. We use it as a crew site picture supplement/replacement. While we do not pull precise measuremen...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Is NGS affected by cutbacks

I will also attempt to keep this apolitical. Many of us look to NGS for leadership, knowledge, and wisdom in many geodetic matters. Many of us were/ar...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Visualizing Point Clouds/BIM data Like A Pro

We do not provide animations; however, we will often upload smaller sites/structures as an FBX to the Autodesk Viewer as it is free for 1 month and th...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Let's Talk Tree Surveys

Side note--you can get much better than "+/- a few feet" using GNSS with offsets. Using SurvCE we do either of the following: P.306 shows a coupl...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Terry Dotson

RIP. He was always extremely helpful and polite. I still use his software to this day.

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Let's Talk Tree Surveys

Distance and offset when using a GNSS or total station. Site plans and tree inventory plans in many places in SW Ontario require coniferous/deciduous ...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Cogo function in C3D

The Civil3d Traverse Editor is pretty decent for calcs. Off the top of my head, I think you can set it to place cogo points only (ie. I believe the o...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Scanning Manhole Inverts at Scale

Agreed. That's just the time for a scan with an iPhone. Please note we only scan for documentation purposes and they are not used as the primary measu...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Scanning Manhole Inverts at Scale

Example of one we scanned with an iPhone 14 Pro using 3dscan. Please note: -FBX as this was meant as a check on the disto dips and for visual confirm...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Carlson BRx7

Well, we do not do ALL of those checks. We would typically do the following: -run the base on site (most of our jobs also have a vertical component) -...

2 years ago
Page 1 / 24