Reading RPLS is free for the whole profession. Members post, reply, and get the members-only rooms.
Last seen: August 5, 2026 9:00 am
Surveying is not Art and Science...only a math problemSure, but that's not the issue. The issue is they are penalizing or threatening to penalize sur...
Isn't that a bit like saying "why look for monuments, surveys are hardly ever challenged as a percentage of how many are done". That is the rational ...
How true. One older local surveyor went to court and did not provide evidence he had due to concern over giving our proprietary information. It was ...
Brian, That is all true, not sure what your point is? I guess what you are not seeing is the difference between the affect of a court decision and th...
As already discussed, the quit claims address certain concerns and the agreement other concerns in order to make things permanent. But it fails if on...
Surveying is not Art and Science...only a math problemWhile I'm sure there are ways the state government can require that filed maps be allowed into t...
Insanity"It would solve 95% of all the substandard surveying going on if everyone had to re-take the exams every 4 years to renew their license."Doing...
Surveying is not Art and Science...only a math problemAre you saying a surveyor was actually reprimanded for putting the notice on the map? Or did it...
Thanks Jon,I'm enjoying the conversation as well. I think it shows how much surveyors are dedicated to helping the public with their land. And in sp...
This is pretty basic law. There can be no enforceable agreement between parties who do not have the right to make one. If you are helping people mak...
What Does it Mean to Survey Property?Well, that would be a start. But what if we all then comment on what it means. How many different interpretatio...
Jim, that is another valid point.A boundary line agreement that is litigated results in a binding decision on all parties. One that we reduce to writ...
I just don't think you are going anywhere by insisting that surveyors are the problem rather than the solution. You are not taking into consideration...
DuaneYeah, we strayed from your point a bit. I think you're right that objective uncertainty would help in certain situations. First cases in NY wer...
You might argue that any actions affecting a land boundary involving two differing members of the public falls under the current definition of surveyi...
Of course, but do you know what the difference means for surveyors?I believe the legislative history in NY shows the law on this point was first passe...
Yes, exactly my point as well.
Sometimes they go directly to court on bad advise from an attorney and lose because they don't have two differing professional opinions.Sometimes they...
See, this is the problem: "On the floor debate this year the legislator stated right out that, well this fix is only good until the next survey."Nothi...
Well, I would consider that malpractice. We in the private sector are required to look a bit deeper. I would need a reason, not any old reason, but ...