AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
bill93
bill93
@bill93
Member P&R, Founder
Joined: July 1, 2010 9:00 pm
Last seen: September 30, 2026 5:43 pm
Topics: 291 / Replies: 9714
Reply
RE: And this...

I believe at some time in the 1950's the USC&GS experimented with a manufactured hole in the disk to let air out when it was cemented into place. ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Working for someone who is NOT the property owner

Holding the drawing until paid up will not help with the situations where the deal falls through for reasons other than the results of the survey. Ma...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Benchmark

There are several ways to do it. In some text editors (Wordpad?) you can use the file-open command and pick any file regardless of type. If it isn't...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Benchmark

Can you look at the files with a text editor, or are they binary data?

12 years ago
Reply
RE: John B. Stahl tackles Joplin, MO--good report

Another way to think about it is there is a deed line, which probably is not exactly the property line on the ground. The title line IS the property ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Optical plummet vs. laser plummet

Do not try this at the office!Too bad it isn't better centered and collimated with the housing. Maybe you could invent an arrangement with two flange...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Calling all Field Notes!

I have that book and looked through it. I didn't see a lot on traverses, and thought the above examples were better for the OP. It does have a lot o...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Ethics?

As mentioned, if at all possible get a copy of his survey plat. Without it you might not have as solid a complaint and only word-against-word. If it...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Calling all Field Notes!

I think the general idea is to figure out in advance what data you are going to take and put it in an orderly form. (Do as I say, not as I do.)Be sur...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Solar Observation Program

>I checked some of my older solar calc'sI was thinking in terms of outdated ephemeris, not in terms of basic calculations.

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Evidence of Old Occupation as Found

KentYou are right. What triggered my response was "Many came from actual mounds containing burial artifacts."

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Does this trouble you?

helped stake a sundial once..Several thoughts:The first step in the job is to determine the accuracy requirements. Even a huge sundial probably doesn...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Solar Observation Program

I've had good results using it for Polaris. It is a DOS program that is several years old, but I'm sure it is still good for Polaris. I wonder if it...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Evidence of Old Occupation as Found

KentAn archaeological site is a book that can only be read once. If you only glance at a few words per page as the pages are destroyed, the text is l...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Does this trouble you?

Well, you really need to do a Polaris sight at the location if you are refuting a claim that it is aligned to Polaris. Or at a minimum a reasonable l...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Local Monument Find

>stick it in somebody's flower bedOr find the guy's grave and pound his monument next to the stone?

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Local Monument Find

Sure there was just one?Don't those things come in pincushion groups?Maybe you've answered the question of whether it is ever justified to pull someon...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Starnet help

If You Eliminate 7, You NeedYou got a tighter fit by holding too many fixed values and telling the program things you haven't measured. That's ok as ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Starnet help

More thoughtsOne reason for cross-ties is to help isolate blunders (assuming the cross-ties don't include blunders). The other reason is to strengthe...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Starnet help

Still Not An Adjustable TraverseI think the big problem is that I had my project options set for angles FROM-AT-TO or Backsight-Occupied-Foresight and...

12 years ago
Page 404 / 501