AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
monte-king
monte-king
@monte-king
Free
Joined: August 16, 2022 12:13 pm
Last seen: July 7, 2026 11:27 am
Topics: 2 / Replies: 25
Reply
RE: Looking for a couple of books to introduce surveying to 2 people with zero experience. Like a Surveying for Dummies?

I don't have any books, but below are a couple of handouts I created to accompany the Cadastral classroom investigation published by BLM in 2023. I ha...

7 months ago
Topic
Replies: 0
Views: 1094
Reply
RE: Half chains and full chains in GLO surveys

The attached image is from the 1851 manual. It does allow a full chain to be used when on uniform and level ground. I have not looked into the "inst...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: How do I find GLO field notes? (1844)

It has been awhile but, going from pure memory I think that Iowa was "closed" long ago and the originals should have been transferred to the state. I ...

1 year ago
Reply
RE: Mineral Rights

Eastern States does not have MTPs. They are still using the original tract books even in PLSS states. I think there was an effort to produce MTPs but ...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Rhetorical Question

@norm I agree with you. In a situation with a stone wall, my question is does the title refer to the wall or a line that the wall occupies. If the w...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Unofficial Gov. Survey

No longer "fined not more than $250" it is now "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both" See 18 USC 1858 I hav...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Title lines versus ownership lines

Best available evidence can be used by surveyors and courts alike. It causes the "surveyed line" (trying to keep the idea of title out) and occupation...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Title lines versus ownership lines

@thebionicman I agree I should be more clear about calling PLSS lines the title lines. Title line can be an occupation line same as a written title. I...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Title lines versus ownership lines

Here is an interesting quote from a court case: Supreme Court of Alabama - 367 So. 2d 944; 1979 Ala. "Our cases are clear that no agreement or act (e...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: BLM/IBLA Case, Re: Center of Section

😆you got it propd is proportioned. Being lazy I guess

2 years ago
Reply
RE: BLM/IBLA Case, Re: Center of Section

No Federal Interest was in Dykes v Arnold so BLM was not involved. I am guessing that you might be thinking of the 1981 IBLA Scherbel v BLM in WY. In ...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Fractional Sections, Triangulated

I agree with the OP that the manual is not clear and actually muddies many subjects. Our own surveyors have issues understanding concepts such as frac...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: How would you calculate this deed?

@lurker Great comments and I couldn't agree more! A little tidbit from an Idaho case that is applicable to the subject. Not the only place I have seen...

2 years ago
Reply
RE: Career Day

I replied then tried editing and now reply is gone so I will try again. Might end up being two replies. BLM published a Middle School Teaching guide a...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Career Day

Outreach is absolutely needed! BLM published the Middle School Teaching Guide about Cadastral Survey in 2023 and our Midwest BILS (BLM Indian Lands Su...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Checking the pulse of traverse closure

I don't want to speak for Chris B. However, I think what he is referring to as a legal corner are corners not set in orig survey, but legally contemp...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: 4 year degree requirement

I do not have a degree and entered the profession full time at 19. I have about 27 1/2 years at this point. The rest of my background is in another th...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Alabama License Requirements

I could not resist replying to this one. I do not have a degree, but I do have a high school diploma and about 1 1/2 yrs of general college courses (n...

3 years ago
Reply
RE: Retracing BLM metes & bounds

I believe you have your answers but I was curious if the BLM 60's survey was for the purpose of identifying omitted lands. From what I can tell it sou...

3 years ago
Page 1 / 2