AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
mathteacher
mathteacher
@mathteacher
Member
Joined: June 15, 2013 9:58 am
Last seen: September 24, 2026 2:51 pm
Topics: 158 / Replies: 2104
Reply
RE: Coordinate decimal places

@steven-metelsky Hmmm. If I inverse between NGS marks KV5560 in Trenton, NJ and AD9364 in San Diego CA, I get 3,853,254.4307 meters, or 3,853.2544307 ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Coordinate decimal places

@holy-cow Also Office Space. Milton lost his Swingline but burned down the building and left with the check.

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@dave-lindell Yes, that's similar to what Newton's Method does, but Newton uses the derivative of the function to speed up the convergence. I like li...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: I'm going to say this right now

@dave-karoly That's what I got. I think that 1,070 feet and 3/8 inch will get 6 seconds.

7 years ago
Reply
RE: I'm going to say this right now

@monte Are you sure about 3/8", 200', and 6 seconds?

7 years ago
Reply
RE: I'm going to say this right now

@holy-cow But 1330.03 feet has six significant digits. And 665.015 has six significant digits. So, from a significant digits viewpoint, 665.015 feet ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@paul-in-pa The real world differs from the theoretical one; that's why I like Einstein's little quote so much.  The functions that we use to r...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@andy-bruner Here's how I did it. (Remember, my students always accused me of doing things in the hardest way, so there are probably easier and more ...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@holy-cow A bit of overkill, and pretty useless, but I have a simple excuse. That's what the calculator got!?ÿ :silly: If you make the distance from...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@paul-in-pa The width is 12.311857 feet and the intersection is 7.8114542 feet from the left wall.

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Not your typical curve problem

@bill93 Right. The tangents are irrelevant to the problem. I was just extending it to a more common format.

7 years ago
Topic
Replies: 24
Views: 1238
Reply
RE: History of the Rectangular Survey System

@tommy-young You're not alone there. I want real books for Christmas. My thought was that the book may be too valuable to use, so let Office Depot pr...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: History of the Rectangular Survey System

If you want it for reference, you can download PDF here: There's some other neat stuff here, some downloadable and some not.

7 years ago
Reply
RE: I'm going to say this right now

3000. There is only 1 significant digit in 7, so that dictates only 1 significant digit in the answer. Try this problem here, first using 7 and then u...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: I'm going to say this right now

@mightymoe Perhaps. The number on the sign is exact for international feet and is the same as the one for US survey feet, rounded to 4 decimal places...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Adding Starnet coordinate systems

I see. The distance between two fixed points should be the same on either system even though the coordinates are different.?ÿ The question was interes...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Adding Starnet coordinate systems

Looking at the table here, ?ÿ OS-GPS-2002 is for older systems. Perhaps you need FieldGenius 9 or newer.

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Could this be a record

@am95405 Nice article. Dr. Willingham hit the key issues and had a suggestion or two that might actually work. A real issue, though, is finding peopl...

7 years ago
Reply
RE: Could this be a record

@holy-cow Yes, just one clock for everybody. Horatio is not involved in the time. Last year, my son was cooking something for his aging parents that...

7 years ago
Page 72 / 114