AI Assistant
Activity
 
Notifications
Clear all
bill93
bill93
@bill93
Member P&R, Founder
Joined: July 1, 2010 9:00 pm
Last seen: September 30, 2026 5:43 pm
Topics: 291 / Replies: 9714
Reply
RE: Excel Vertical Curve Calculator

I haven't played with it, but there is one from Michigan DOTAnd here's one that I cooked up to look a lot like the screenshot posted above. I have no...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Found these yesterday...

There are many state boundaries that were disputed up to the Supreme Court level. As I recall, this one had one of the longest time spans - almost a ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Amateur monument recovery notes

Clearly inadequate work...It's hard to characterize a group with one evaluation. The Power Squadron, when they were actively reporting, varied more t...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Amateur monument recovery notes

Clearly inadequate work...Almost 300 recovery reports to NGS. For almost all I can hold my head up if someone reads them. A few at first had greenho...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Smart Phone GPS accuracy

I believe Google stores an address for each end of a block or series of blocks and does a linear interpolation between those points for the location o...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Had lunch with some of Holy Cow's kin today

Airplanes, pastures, it seems like Paden runs into feeding time just everywhere.

12 years ago
Reply
RE: 3 wire

You can find forms for booking the readings, but I like my format shown in this spreadsheet.I was checking whether a suspicious-looking bench mark had...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Trying to decide

If a true Bench Mark disk is no longer in exactly the original place, then it must be stamped RESET and data submitted showing the change in elevation...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Polaris to SPC..."convergence" and La Place correction

La Place Azimuth CorrectionAn equation would have made it so much clearer.

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Polaris to SPC..."convergence" and La Place correction

Convergence varies significantly with only fractions of a mile toward or away from the central meridian of the map projection.Play with the NGS tool:

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Polaris to SPC..."convergence" and La Place correction

Convergence is a result of the map projection, going from geodetic coordinates to something like State Plane Coordinates.LaPlace is the correction for...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Reducing multiple Polaris data

D,F,& K was written for people using a half-minute transit. There was a lot of room for improvement by averaging instrument readings before you g...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Reducing multiple Polaris data

Averaging the times is making the assumption that the azimuth of Polaris changes linearly with time. This is a reasonable approximation unless the ti...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Reducing multiple Polaris data

The "right" way is to do a calculation for each sighting and mean the resulting azimuths. For the slow apparent motion of Polaris, you can get away w...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Need help with a closing call

To let Star*Net calculate something, put in a fake measurement with a * after it (in the place a ! would go to hold it fixed).D 10-9 812 *A ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Witness Monuments

Our culture has a built-in assumption that whatever is on paper must be correct, despite the fact that it often isn't. Where in his surveying educati...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Converting kmz to xls

I don't know of a slick way, but I could do it with this laborious process:-Copy whatever.kmz to whatever.zip-Unzip the file and find the .kml within ...

12 years ago
Reply
RE: Easement location interpretation.

>"excepting therefrom" and "together with" ingress/egress and utility easementsThose words added in a later post make all the difference, as I note...

12 years ago
Page 392 / 501