Random Survey question

  • Random Survey question

    Posted by Pam on November 14, 2023 at 6:19 am

    Our land has been in our family for 50 years. Was recently surveyed 10 years ago. A fairly new neighbor is having a survey done and his markers take a 4.5 acre triangle of our land. He is not reachable .Seems so bizarre. Where do we start with the surveyors, the police, our town hall? we are in CT. Thank you.

    Norman_Oklahoma replied 7 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • rover83


    November 14, 2023 at 8:09 am

    That’s a lot of land to be “mistakenly” marked. Are you sure that those markers are actually intended to cut off that piece of land? Do you have a copy of the neighbor’s new survey to compare to the one you had done ten years ago?

    “…people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think.” -Neil Postman
  • Pam


    November 14, 2023 at 9:36 am

    Thank you for your help. So I should call the town to see if they filed it. That does not seem legal.Our property line is clearly marked with no trespassing signs(from recent and years past) and two wire fences. The new survey markers come from two points on the neighbors land and run across our land to 1 point I refer to it as a triangular piece of our land.

  • holy-cow


    November 14, 2023 at 1:28 pm

    As Rover 83 pointed out, that is quite a bit of area between the determinations of two licensed land surveyors. There must be something unique in the descriptions of each tract that could cause this much of a discrepancy. I would be contacting the surveyor from ten years ago, if still around, to suggest he/she contact



    November 15, 2023 at 7:35 am

    It’s my guess; you’re mistaking points on a random traverse for property corners. Are the stakes marked, identifying them as property corners? Can you find out who the neighbors surveyor was and get ahold of them?

    Go to the source if you want the answers….

    I hope everyone has a great day; I know I will!
  • Norman_Oklahoma


    November 15, 2023 at 8:42 am

    This is a civil matter. The Town Hall can do nothing for you, and the only thing the police can do is break up the fisticuffs and throw the perpetrators in jail. So lets not go there.

    I recommend that you talk to the current surveyor and ask for a copy of his map and a full explanation. Then talk to the surveyor who did your work ten years ago. Get them together and see if there isn’t just some misunderstanding (see RADAR’s comment, above). I expect that there is a very high probability that the matter will end there. If the guy from ten years ago is unavailable (or unwilling) then you may wish to retain another surveyor of your own to review the current work. If your county has a surveyor on staff you may be able to prevail on that person to comment.

    If that doesn’t satisfy you then your next stop is an attorney.

Log in to reply.