LOMR-F Question

  • LOMR-F Question

    Posted by Kalagaraz on September 6, 2019 at 7:12 pm

    I bought a house several years ago that was in a flood zone and had a elevation certificate done to reduce my rates. The local government has done a lot of work on the river that is near my house and now when it rains fairly heavy the water doesn’t even come near my house anymore. A definite improvement. I was hoping maybe BFE’s would get updated, but doesn’t look like they ever will.

    Looking back at my elevation certificate, from my amateur perspective, it seems I might be able to qualify for a LOMR-F if I fill in my crawlspace.

    I’ve attached the measurements for my house below. Could someone tell me what my options are to try and get my house out of flood zone? Again house is on a crawlspace. So 519.92 is the height of the crawlspace ceiling.

    Thanks for any advice!

    peter-lothian replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • peter-lothian


    September 6, 2019 at 8:12 pm

    It’s been some years since I dealt with a LOMR-F, so my memory may not be the most reliable here. My current understanding is that a LOMR based on Fill is applicable to when the ground outside of the building is raised up by fill. Filling in your crawlspace will just be putting dirt inside a building that will remain in the flood zone, as long as the ground level outside the house remains unchanged.

    You should talk to the local government that did this work on the river. If the work was done to intentionally to alter the flood plain, they may already have overall flood map revisions in progress.

Log in to reply.