Abbreviation on a 1963 record of survey

• Abbreviation on a 1963 record of survey

Posted by bernardc on August 10, 2023 at 11:54 pm

Here I am with another dumb question. Does this note say “SET R.W. H&T”, with the S in SET somehow not showing? Or does it say something else? Would that mean “Set redwood hub and tag”? Here’s a detail of the map, and the full map is attached.

bernardc replied 8 months ago 14 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • GaryG

GaryG

August 11, 2023 at 12:11 am

Set, Right-of-Way, Hub & Tac

• dave-lindell

dave-lindell

August 11, 2023 at 12:36 am

I vote for “SET REDWOOD HUB & TACK”

• holy-cow

holy-cow

August 11, 2023 at 1:59 am

Definitely referring to setting a hub and tack where the road right-of-way meets the boundary line.

• bill93

bill93

August 11, 2023 at 3:06 am

OP profile says California, which lends support to redwood.

• tickmagnet

tickmagnet

August 11, 2023 at 9:57 am

That county has a decent online set of maps.

I would look for other maps by the same surveyor

• Ric-Moore

Ric-Moore

August 11, 2023 at 2:43 pm

Have you talked with a surveyor in that local area and asked?  If you are a surveyor in that area, have you asked your counterparts who are more familiar with that area?  Or maybe the County Surveyor?

• bernardc

bernardc

August 11, 2023 at 2:46 pm

The next map of this area is by another surveyor in the same firm (which is still in operation) in 1965. Between the 1963 and 1965 maps, Bear Creek Rd was constructed. (It is 6.5 miles of high-speed, engineered roadway necessitated by the construction of Briones Reservoir which flooded out a prior roadway.) See attached. I don’t see any other notations of a R.W. H&T.

Another curiosity: Cronin, in 1963, set “2” O.D.” monuments, but his partner, Cooper, set 1¼” I.P. meaning 1¼-inch nominal iron pipe which has an outside diameter of 1.66″. 1½” iron pipe has an OD of 1.9″. 2″ iron pipe has an OD of 2⅜. Were 2″ true-OD monuments in use in the 1960s, or was he using iron pipe and rounding off to 2″?

• Norman_Oklahoma

Norman_Oklahoma

August 11, 2023 at 3:34 pm

Not that it really matters. You go out there and see if you can find something, anything, and then you reverse engineer the description of what you find.

Undisturbed fir hubs have a half life of about a year in the PNW area. I once had the pleasure of finding the above ground portion of a reasonably intact 4×4 post – must have been cedar – that according to the record was about 80 yrs old at the time.   In Contra Costa County a redwood hub may still be in decent shape after 60 years.

• holy-cow

holy-cow

August 11, 2023 at 3:38 pm

I see many monuments marked as RW or some form thereof indicating it was set were the right-of-way line intersects an existing defined boundary line.  Have never encountered a case of “Set Pine H&T” or Oak or Fir or any other specific type of wood.  Never.  RW is very commonly used for right-of-way.

• bernardc

bernardc

August 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm

Considering the context of the 1963 survey:

1. It shows the proposed new road, 
    2. The monument is located at the edge of the new road’s right of way,
    3. The surveyor, Cronin, set numerous 2″ O.D. (presumably iron) monuments in that same survey,
    4. Hubs and tacks are typically used as temporary markers during construction, and
    5. Cronin’s partner, Cooper replaced the H&T with an iron monument after the road was completed in 1965,

I’m going to go out on a limb and say R.W. means right-of-way, as Gary originally opined. 

Regarding redwood, I have on my property, not far from this map, many fence posts dating from the mid-20th Century that are weathered but structurally sound. (Oak, on the other hand, has a half life of months.) However, redwood would be an odd choice for that single monument that was intended as temporary. 

• dave-lindell

dave-lindell

August 11, 2023 at 7:42 pm

I contend right-of-way is abbreviated “R/W” (with the slash).

• chris-bouffard

chris-bouffard

August 11, 2023 at 8:01 pm

As for the “et”, obviously meant to be set the red wood is probably not even worth contemplating 60 years later unless it was a decent sized post that withstood the test of time.

As for the OD of the pipe, your overthinking things.  If you find a 1 3/4″ pipe where a 2″ pipe is called for and in a position that matches all other evidence found, are you going to reject it because it is off 1/4″ in dia?

• GaryG

GaryG

August 11, 2023 at 9:12 pm

As for the “et”, obviously meant to be set the red wood is probably not even worth contemplating 60 years later unless it was a decent sized post that withstood the test of time.

As for the OD of the pipe, your overthinking things.  If you find a 1 3/4″ pipe where a 2″ pipe is called for and in a position that matches all other evidence found, are you going to reject it because it is off 1/4″ in dia?

AMEN

• bernardc

bernardc

August 20, 2023 at 12:47 am

Were 2″ true-OD monuments in use in the 1960s, or was he using iron pipe and rounding off to 2″?

Well were they? I doubt it. (And there’s no such thing as a 1¾ IPS.) And I’m just asking questions.

There is 2″ hard copper tubing which has a true O.D. of 2″. With a brazed cap, I imagine it would make a nice monument, with better corrosion resistance than iron. You could emboss the cap with your license number. 

An inaccurate description of the monument is a minor defect. But if it were accompanied by other errors, it would contribute to an accumulation of doubt. 

Aside from that nit, thank you all for your excellent answers. 

• MightyMoe

MightyMoe

August 20, 2023 at 1:27 am

ET: end of tangent

RW: Right of way

HT: hub and tack

• LAStevens

LAStevens

August 20, 2023 at 3:00 pm

In the Bay Area a redwood hub would have been set for a property corner.  The abbreviation could be either one, but typically would be calling the type of monument.

If it was clear heart redwood, it should still exist in decent shape, if area has not been disturbed.   I’ve found plenty over a 100 years old. I found one last week from the 1965 with tag still in it and great shape.

If it was conheart redwood, you may still find a portion of a hub or wood remnants in the soil.  

Finding old hub evidence requires more of an archeological dig.

Good luck!

• CV-Nevada

CV-Nevada

August 20, 2023 at 3:28 pm

Here in Southern Nevada, it would be interpreted as: Extraterrestrial Highway Roadhouse With Habanero Tacos available here.

• RADAR

RADAR

August 20, 2023 at 5:17 pm

GIF

I hope everyone has a great day; I know I will!
  • r-s-mayer

r-s-mayer

August 20, 2023 at 10:07 pm

Common practice to set redwood hubs. It seems the surveyor was trying to differentiate between the 2″ O.D. he set at another location. Also, it’s implied the monument was set at the intersection of the right of way and property line per the map.

• bernardc

bernardc

August 24, 2023 at 4:32 pm

My final verdict is “Set right-of-way hub and tack,” as Gary first opined. This point is not the end of a tangent, and if it were, it would be called B.C. for begin of curve. And there are no periods after the E and T. See the attached 1984 map which finds the 1¼-inch nominal iron pipe that had replaced the 1963 hub and tack in 1965 after the construction of the new, luxuriously engineered road. I don’t think any redwood was involved. In order to diagnose why most of the S in SET is missing, I’m told that the original paper copy is available at the recorder’s office, but it is not easy to drill that far into their well-developed defenses which have evolved in the context of lots of crack-pot customers on matters such as contentious family law documents.